07/01/2019

Interview - Mike Park, (Contestant, Series 1 of Revival Series)

Mike Park, of Team Cosplay

Q: So what made you decide to apply for Crystal Maze? Did you watch it when it originally ran in the 90's?

Mike: "I simply heard about the interviews, and I thought why not. I've done plenty of interviews so I had an idea what may be required, so I wrangled my friends together and the rest is history. The original run of the show was a huge part of my childhood. All the way to the modern version of the show. I don't want to miss an episode."

Q: Who was your favourite presenter and Zone?

M: "With regards to the presenters, I love them all for different reasons. But I can say that Richard Ayoade is doing a smashing job, and I'd be happy to see him do this for many more series. Industrial Zone is my personal favourite, the aesthetic is something I've always liked."

Q: What was Richard Ayoade like in real life on set, on and off camera?

M: "Ayoade was a great host. There were a few great jokes that were cut for obvious reasons, others due to time., including an argument with the dragon in Aztec. I do hope they eventually release some unaired material, like the outtake videos we eventually found on YouTube of the original series. He was a good laugh."

Q: Were any games or situations pre-selected, prior to filming?

M: "All of the games were pre-selected, I suppose to give a good mix on each show. We did not know these beforehand, so we couldn't really plan tactically if that makes sense. However, we all happened to get the game types we wanted in advance."

Q: Were there any re-takes?

M: "Yes, after the game was completed, some extra shots were required for the camera. Mainly closeups, picking things up, putting them down etc. My first game was interrupted by a fire alarm, and Jen's second game had a few issues."

Q. Most embarrassing moment for you?

M: "I would say for me it would either be during the interview, doing a very high pitched yay! Or getting told off by another crew in another studio after the fire alarm, as I was singing loudly outside."

Q. How did you feel about your teammate Rob's embarrassing moment, when he was stuck spinning on the Planet in the Futuristic Zone? That's had 350k views on YouTube!

M: "He was also a disappointment! But its part of the games. Maybe I could have done that game, maybe not."

Q. Favourite Crystal Maze game from your episode?

M: "Personally out of the games we played, I liked the Futuristic cube game. I was just a little slow realising my mistake. However I think that one, in particular, was very well designed. I just wish I had taken my time in reading the clues."

Q. Preferred type of game - Skill, Mystery, Physical or Mental?

M: "Normally I prefer mystery games and mental. However if I were to get back on the show, I would be happy to give the physical and skill games a good go."

Q. If a new Zone was introduced into the Crystal Maze again, what would it be and why?

M: "Well I recently did a poll on Twitter. I do like the idea of an 'Apocalyptic Zone' or a 'Wild West' zone. But we shall see what the future has. Apocalyptic was my poll winner."

Q. As an Escape Room Manager / Puzzle designer yourself, do you think The Crystal Maze has a lot to give for the success and rise of Escape Rooms all around the world today?

M: "The Maze helps me to easily describe what an Escape room is, as I hear a lot of my customers say 'It's like a one hour long Crystal Maze game'. Escape rooms may have happened naturally on their own, but I like to think the show has helped with their success."

Q: Do you get noticed in the street for your appearance on Crystal Maze?

M: "It has happened a good few times. It happens a lot at work when people come in, or when out and about. Seems like the show is as popular as ever. Here is to many more Crystal Maze series in the future!".

No comments:

Post a Comment