03/07/2019

Two Tiny Issues With The Show So Far

I'm going to preface this by saying "Yes, we were involved in testing, but we didn't test this game so couldn't raise any issue at the time". Now that little disclaimer is out the way, onto my main first point.

So far, I'm loving the new games. I love the look of them, I love the details behind some of them, a good example being the cause and effect mechanical crystal release for the Aztec wobble board game. However, there's something niggling at me in regards to the Eastern Ying Yang game.




Now I completely understand if this isn't the original planned layout as they needed wheelchair accessibility for some games, but to me, this just doesn't look 100% finished.

Personally, I would have the player working from behind a barrier rolling it down the beams. Have them with a few degrees slope on them so the balls can't get stuck midway, and if they have to move anything, a good hard roll of another ball would shift anything.  Also manually removing balls from the wrong position shouldn't be an option. A couple of rods that come up from underneath to push out errant balls wouldn't be too much of a design challenge.

Overall its a visually pleasing game, its got a strong individual theme and I like the cabinet on the left that holds the crystal simply on the basis it'd different from the square pedestals that raise up to reveal the crystal. We saw one of the ying-yang props whilst on set in March but didn't know it's use.

Secondly, and this is virtually nothing but still something I want to point out: big, open unrestricted hatches in Industrial.



Some mesh over them or something, anything. Having them open like that takes away some of the element of the player being on their own in the cell, since there's a great big serving hatch in the wall. That same stuff that crawling maze is made from would do perfectly. Can be seen through by teammates and cameras alike, but functions in keeping the player on their own beyond the door.

What's your opinion? Enjoying it so far? Got a favourite new game yet? Comment below.

Episode 3 is on this Friday and if you're unfamiliar with this weeks 'Who's who of who knows', then click here and get acquainted.



3 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying the new games.

    I hadn't really thought about these two issues. I really like the new Eastern Zone.

    I like the homages to classic games. For example, the two part game - jigsaw then code.

    I think that the 10 game thing works, but it does lead to too many 3 minute games. This season - and especially last season - there are a few okay 3 min games that would have been great 2 min games. The pace, although artificial, of the early RO'B series was good.

    Final thing: I'm just glad it's on.

    Final final thing: be good if they had the interactive room they had on Fort Boyard a few years back. Great for future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying it overall, I have no issue with them borrowing from the 90's series as its mostly a new audience 25 years later. I can't imagine kids watching it now have seen the original games something like the Eastern dragon borrows from.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you. I meant it as a compliment.

      Delete